Saturday, November 29, 2008

It's about time!!

And I'm not talking about posting. Although it has been long overdue for a post or two! HA! No, what I am talking about is losing this weight! It has been too long living with this weight. It has steadily grown to where I can't believe that I am this heavy. I know this will sound kind of sappy, but this is the way I feel. When you become a father, your perception of life changes. You realize that your not here to satisfy all of your selfish desires, but you realize that you have some responsibilities in life. The funny thing is they don't even feel like responsibilities like in a job. When you look into your childrens eyes and see that complete trust. They come to you and know that whatever the problem you will make it right. I think the biggest gift you can give to your children is a home that is a safe haven. And what I mean by that is, they know that no matter what happens outside the home, grief at school, losing friends, whatever that rocks their world. If they know that as long as they can make it through those door everything is going to be okay then you have done your job. The other big thing I believe you should give your child is to be healthy enough to live long enough to be there for them all through their lives. Now I know unexpected things get us in life. Disease, tragic events and such are all out of our control. But overweightness (is that even a word.. RT?) is not our of our control. We choose what to put into our mouths. And have I put the food away!!! My weight is in direct perportion to my weak self will. I know that my weakness is self control. Now I don't mean that I just gorge myself everytime I eat, in fact, it is quite the opposite. Unless it is taco's made the way my Mom makes them. Then all bets are off. It was just what I ate, and when. I used to love, well I still do, I just can't do it anymore, but I love to have some peanut butter toast right before I go to bed. Way too much fat right before you go to bed. I also have a love affair with cheeseburgers. Especially In & Out Burgers from California. I could eat those till I am sick!!

Hey Wyatt, look a new paragraph! HA! One of the things that opened my eyes was the death of Kevin Duckworth. He was the center of the Portland Trailblazers of the NBA. He played a few years ago, and was only 44 yrs old. But he did weight 400 some odd pounds. And you just can't put that kind of strain on your heart. Well, I was approaching 400 lbs ( I can't believe I just wrote that!!) and I am approaching 40yrs old.

Growing up, I was very active in athletics. If I wasn't playing baseball, I was playing basketball, if I wasn't playing basketball, I was playing softball. And I was skinny!! Anyone, who isn't being snarky, that knew me back then, will tell you, I was thin! I didn't start filling out till after I got married. I was 6'4" and only 190 lbs when I got married.

When I decided to try again to lose weight. I weighed in at 385 lbs. That was the first week of November. I now weigh 371!! That is a difference of 14 lbs! That is awesome. All I am doing right now is not drinking pop during the day, no cheeseburgers for lunch, I eat tuna for lunch or a turkey or ham sandwich, I drink all kinds of water during the day. I allow myself one 12 oz pop can at lunch and at dinner. I used to drink a two liter a day, at least. And this is regular pop, not diet. Dinner is usually something Elina has made but just small portions. I also eat oatmeal and low fat turkey sausage for breakfast. I used to get a sausage McMuffin or a Loaded Breakfast Burrito from Carls Jr, that's Hardees for you here in the south. And I haven't even started excersizing with this diet yet. I am really excited to start seeing the weight come off. Thanks to everyone for encouragement and all. Also sorry for the long post, it's been awhile!! HA!

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm very proud of you, Sssteve! :)

Just think, after you lose 10 percent of your weight, your risk for diabetes goes down significantly.

When I go to the gym, I tend to get angry at myself. I used to be really strong and athletic. However, I can be that way again. God has protected me thus far so that I can turn things around. While I exercise (and feel like quitting), I keep saying to myself, "With man it is impossible, but with God all things are possible." I also tend to remind myself that God will give me what I need to do this.

You rock! :) You are doing awesome and I am so happy for you.

4:15 AM  
Blogger Joe Cool said...

And I thought Jesus was coming back first...

8:33 PM  
Blogger Ssssteve said...

Thanks RT! I know it's going to be a long haul!!

JC keep talking, you might meet HIM sooner than you want!!

7:50 AM  
Blogger Libby said...

Ssssteve...that's awesome! pop packs so many bad things in a little can that we don't even realize it!

10:15 AM  
Blogger Buckaroo Banzai said...

You. Friggin. Rule!!!

Congrats!

10:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome Son!! You know I am proud of you! You know you have to keep this up and stick around for a long time. Because...no one "rocks" a family get-together quite like you! :)
Your Mudder

3:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awwwww...Ssssteve...your mom rocks! :)

(I did laugh out loud, really loud when I read Joe's comment, though.)

4:57 PM  
Blogger Ssssteve said...

Lib, yeah, but is pop ever good! HA. I would rather drink water than diet though!!

Wyatt, thanks bro! that means alot!

Mom, Awwww Mommm! your embarrasing me with all my friends!!

RT, Shut up! HA! Don't give JC any encouragement!!!

6:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home