Monday, January 08, 2007

Hey, I kinda love these lists

Here is another one. I have been thinking about some of these things recently. This list is about people's behavior that I really, really dislike (only because my momma told me to never say hate), here goes:

. Apathy (that was for you Andy, just in case you didn't know what the word means) in the workplace. If you don't like your job, then find a new one! And don't give that baloney that you can't find one. I do not have a college degree, I have 2 yrs of college under my belt but no degree. And I have always been able to find a job that paid better than the average pay in the area. Find something you like doing and do it. This one leads into my next one.

. Bad attitudes in the service industry. If you are dealing with the public at least act like you enjoy helping the customer with what they need. I have just been in DC and at the hotel there I had to deal with front desk help and the bell captain that acted like I was a moron. Now whether or not they felt that way, they came across as if I was bothering them.

. This one is a big one with me. When you ask me a question or I ask you one, at least give me the courtesy of looking in my general direction while I talk to you or we discuss whatever it is that we are talking about. To look away and look at other things is to tell me that you couldn't care less about what I am discussing with you. It is the epitome of rudeness! It's like Foghorn Leghorn says, "I say, I say, I say look at me when I'm talking to you boy!"

. the victim mentality. Woe is me, everything happens to me. It's never my fault. This drives me nuts. Come on, everyone has problems. If you will be honest with yourself and everyone else you will see that everybody has lots of problems. We all deal with things everyday! I have issues that I have to deal with, family, attitudes, the public, stress. Who doesn't though?! I know that if I look at others honestly I see that I wouldn't trade my issues for anyone Else's. This victim mentality is probably the worst one for our Country along with the next one I am going to list.

. The Entitlement mentality. I deserve it. Not because I have worked hard for it, but just because of who I am, or what has happened to my ancestors, or just because I was in the state that was hit with a natural disaster. Hey, you get it after you work for it! It should never be a free ride, it's like the old saying, You don't work, you don't eat!!

. Judgements of fat people just from appearance. Why is it everyone looks at the fat person eating the desert. If you see a skinny person eating it, not a thought. But let a fat person eat a desert and there is the disgust. If a fat person has a spot on their shirt or blouse they are a slob. A skinny person gets a spot and it's like, Oh look isn't that cute, they got a spot on their shirt!

. Personal responsibility. If you see something that needs to be done, then by crikey do it. If there is trash on the ground, pick it up! When visiting DC and southern California this week I noticed so much trash on the ground and all over the place. Quit living like animals or children. It's not my job. Somebody else will get it, I don't need to! Come to work when your supposed to. Don't make it a habit of calling in sick! It makes everyone Else's job that much harder!

Well there you have it. If you have one of your own, leave it in the comments section. Or better yet, if you have a blog. Do one of your own and let us know what ticks you off!


UPDATE: RT mentioned in the comments that she wanted a student to listen more and talk less during class. it totally reminded me of one of my worst pet peeves. And that is when someone starts talking while someone else is either teaching or training or giving a speech. How incredibly rude of you to do that. I guess this one really gets to me. Probably because I train people in my profession. And while I usually don't have that problem while I am training someone, but when I see someone else doing it, it makes me want to get up and ask them to share it with the rest of the group since obviously they think it is more important than what is being said at the time! That really drives me nuts!!

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Give me a f,i,r,s,t! What does it spell? First!

People who think that all Southerners are stupid rednecks!

7:06 PM  
Blogger Sezme said...

WOW! I could apply the entire list to my life or my experience with my students and their parents! A student emailed me over the weekend to see what he could do to improve his grade so that colleges don't regject him. I told him today that paying attention in class, not talking the entire period, passing his quizzes, and handing his essays in on time might be the trick. Btw, I do give a speech about worrying about "your" grade at the beginning of the marking period, not the end.

I could eat the same lunch as a skinny person and maybe eat less of it, and I am the one being judged. Ugh. I also get treated like I'm an idiot by the service industry.

Sorry this was so long.

7:45 PM  
Blogger Ssssteve said...

Linda, I agree with that one. Especially when those with education think that someone with common sense and no degree are less intelligent!

RT, no problem, it reminded me of another one I wanted to put out there!

8:03 PM  
Blogger Sezme said...

What that regject is spelled reject? HA...I hate when I catch my misspellings, poor sentence structure, and bad grammar on my comments. grrrrrrr. (Not anyone else's issues with the English language, just my own, because you know, I'm an English teacher.)

8:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I missed what you said, I was talking.

Sorry.

8:41 PM  
Blogger Ssssteve said...

Hey, was that sarcastic!

8:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know, if they weren't so fat they wouldn't have as much shirt to get a spot on...stupid fat shirt wearing slobs!

5:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

1) My #1 pet peeve. People driving slow in the fast lane.

2) People who interrupt you while you are answering a question they asked you - like they need to prove they aren't really as dumb as the question they asked. Why did they need to ask the question? Does this happen to anyone else?

3:33 PM  
Blogger Uber said...

Hey now, I've had an opposite experience. I was once invited to dinner and aggrivated into going even though I didn't really want to go (because it was a couples thing and there was only one of me) but I went because it seemed so important to these two ladies that I go...and when I got there they refused to let me help with dinner or cleaning up (which is an insult all on it's own where I'm from), sat me outside with the men (but put a drink in my hand, which made up for that) then after dinner handed me a bowl of plain lettuce later and said "Still hungry?" (hahaha!) ridiculing the supposedly small amount that I ate (and I even stuffed myself best I could so as to not seem rude).

Rude and judgemental people come in all shapes and sizes! But yeah, I can see what you mean anyhow.

1:16 PM  
Blogger Buckaroo Banzai said...

I'd comment here, but I just don't care. I am so apathetic. HA!

10:12 PM  
Blogger Insolublog said...

Why is it everyone looks at the fat person eating the desert?

Actually they watch the fat person who is eating the small side salad and loudly insisting that this is their standard diet. Of course, you and I know they are adding that big 'salad' of doughnuts, ice cream and potato chips, as soon as they get back to the trailer.

9:04 PM  
Blogger Sally Anne said...

Judgemental attitudes are not reserved for the plus-sized.

Why does everyone look at a thin girl and assume she's anorexic, bulimic or addicted? As a very thin young woman, I had people not just look at me sidelong, but actually SAY horrible things like that to me. :/

12:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home